Construction is the very base of our civilization and there is rarely anyplace in your locality where no constructed building stands. Therefore, you can very well get the idea that as to how important is construction. But like any other work, construction work also has its challenges. Perhaps the biggest challenge is that of making sure that the workers are fine and are also safe but doing this is not easy and using scaffolds is the best way to do that.
While scaffold types itself are to ensure safety and convenience for construction workers but then again as much as 5000 workers get injured each year therefore it is important that one is well aware of the important do’s and don’s to be followed when using a scaffold.
- It is always recommended that one wears a full body harness whenever one is up on a scaffold. Also it is important to make sure that the anchors are connected with a lanyard or lifeline which has the capability to absorb shock. These are the very measures which can prevent you from falling and slipping. Many workers are just too confident in their approach and never puts an use to these but this shouldn’t be the way, the anchors are there for a reason at the first place. Yes, one can be very much skilled in the work but then again walking on a scaffold matrix is never foolproof, one can easily miss a bar which can result in an accident. Therefore it is best that one always stays careful about the matter.
- One should always move very cautious on the scaffold, howsoever hurry one is in, the footsteps shouldn’t be put with haste which can cause one to face the worse. Therefore being slow and steady is the key to working on a scaffold.
- The load bearing capacity of a scaffold is something which is always to be kept in mind if one wants to steer past most of the risks which arises when working on a scaffold. There is no way a scaffold can bear too much of weight which exceeds the limitation of the weight limit specified for the particular scaffold.
- When working on a scaffold, one of the worst risks is that of coming in contact to an overhead electric line. Cases like this can even be fatal. Therefore, one should always let the authorities know about any cases of nearby electric lines when a scaffold is set up somewhere and then all the safety measures should be followed to the last word.
- It is a misconception among many workers that when the scaffold is going up just one storey, then one doesn’t needs to wear the safety harness but this is utterly wrong. Whatever be the height on which the scaffold is set, one should never let go of the safety harness.